The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames)

Music posts are a bannable offense.
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Re: The Bill's Now Playing Video Game Thread (Now with Bames

Post by james »

copstache wrote:persona 3 and 4 (especially 4) are some of my favorite games of all time. if you can deal with like 60 hours of dating anime highschoolers and turn-based combat, it's some of the best rpg gaming you'll ever see.
I will return to this game someday. It just wasn't what I wanted when I sat down to play it at the time. First ten hours or so felt way too rigid, and looking back I realize it was because I was over-thinking the 'daytime' parts of the game and paralyzing myself with must-do-everything completionism. I really just wanna find out what happens to that lil girl who watches TV all day.

In other news, I banged through Injustice in one sitting last night. What a cool movie!
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER
Location: Beyond the Oceans of Time and Space, Sometimes New York

Post by The Bill »

Went into a Gamespot on Wednesday for the first time in a long time. Wife was buying a funeral card so I decided to stick my head in. They had a PS4 and XBONE display. Of course, neither worked, but I got to get my hands on both controllers. Whomever here said the PS4 controller is now the 360 and vice versa is dead on the money. Hated how lose the Microsoft thumb sticks felt. Just wish the people at SONY didn't have such small fingers/penises that they kept the D-Pad and left thumb-stick in the old position.

If the new Wolfenstien's 360 version isn't complete ass, I may just get it for that system. I don't know anymore.

After a few beers I think I enjoyed myself with Reckoning: Kingdom of Almonds last Friday. Unfortunately, through out the week I kept questioning myself on investing the time into playing this. "Was it really all that fun?" "It seems like it will get boring fast." Any free time this week I had time to play, I also just said "nah" and decided to read comic books instead. I think I've essentially psyched myself out of playing this. I should play Time Splitters 2 instead.
frost
(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Post by frost »

Let Us Help You wrote:Image
it should be a taunt with a Brawl deathrattle :D
DEAD THREAD, LOCKED
-Admin'd
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:I have no idea how any sane person thinks they can make a good profit on a game that costs half a billion to make.
Seriously, they launching a cartoon and a line of toys with this game? Actually, every time I go to ToysRUs I see a ton of HALO toys, so maybe they are.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Pisscubes wrote:They have to be panicking at this point. After the last time they gave journalists access to the game every article I read was a resounding, "Meh. Is this it?"
It's not even a proper single player game, right? It's forced co-op. Fuck that.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

Destiny is a game I seriously don't get the hype for (or maybe there's not even that much hype aside from some of the press?). it's got a sorta unique co-op element but what else...??

as far as gaming for the rest of this year goes, at least Batman is sounding pretty cool. after hearing the GB guys talk about it I went from being uninterested to moderately pumped. IIRC Brad said it's probably the best looking game he's seen and the way they use the batmobile is actually exciting and not just driving around everywhere. like you can eject yourself from it to reach certain areas and it'll track you and you can basically dive back into it. that's badass.

Curious if Watch Dogs is going to crash and burn... we'll find out soon enough.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

I guess we're just supposed to be excited about Destiny by default because it's Bungie? I dunno.

Watch Dogs I'll get when I have a PS4. I've permanently sworn off buying Ubisoft games on PC, and I'm still not really in a hurry with the PS4, so... eh. I'm feeling a non-baming period coming up, anyway, I'm pretty burned out on DkS2 at the moment, and it's biking season, so fuck it.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Spooky Apparition
O.G. Interwebber

Post by Spooky Apparition »

spacehamster wrote:I'm feeling a non-baming period coming up, anyway, I'm pretty burned out on DkS2 at the moment, and it's biking season, so fuck it.
same here about the break. this is usually the time of year when I play a lot less stuff in general. aside from Watch Dogs, there's not much coming out until the fall anyway.

I realized the other day one reason maybe I couldn't get absorbed into DkS2 quite as much as the last two is because it came out in the spring instead of the fall. playing that on a saturday in April when it's nice out isn't the same as in November when it's rainy and cold and getting dark at 5 p.m.... probably why it took me longer to get through it.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Spooky Apparition wrote:
I realized the other day one reason maybe I couldn't get absorbed into DkS2 quite as much as the last two is because it came out in the spring instead of the fall. playing that on a saturday in April when it's nice out isn't the same as in November when it's rainy and cold and getting dark at 5 p.m.... probably why it took me longer to get through it.
I think with me it's more that I've got something around 250 hours of playtime between the two versions of the game and, um, yeah. *cough*

Plus I had actually just gotten back into the first one, and that segued straight into DkS2, so it's more like 400 hours of the two games combined since February, and now I've kinda had it.

Plus, yeah, the weather's finally getting good here, so there's the whole "going outside and actually doing stuff" thing luring me away from more noble pursuits like Steam achievements.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

I don't know if it's a hankering to play a shooter or the fact I just want to play a game for my ps4 but I'm cautiously looking forward to Wolfenstein tomorrow.
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

i'm totally looking forward to it. it looks awesome.
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
Foot Foot wrote:that's enough. white girls.
Honky Kong 64
GOLD MEMBER
GOLD MEMBER

Post by Honky Kong 64 »

I have a chance for a 3DS for $70. What titles should I be gaping right now?
No Cunting Elves
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Honky Kong 64 wrote:I have a chance for a 3DS for $70. What titles should I be gaping right now?
The two Mario games (2D & 3D) and the Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds.

Played more of Kingdom of Almurarar on Friday. Strange game. I enjoy playing it but the second I stop, I start thinking I don't want to play this anymore. But when I actually play it's entertaining for the most part, and I'm not bored or annoyed by anything. Yet, when I think about it what I just played I'm not impressed and don't want to play it in the future. A conundrum of the mind and the concept of time. Present time The Bill likes this game, but past & future The Bill do not. All three The Bill's do agree that this game may be a little too long, and not the sort of thing I want to keep playing into the summer.

This time a year ago I was in a gaming slump, and that was when I finally tried Castlevania: SOTN. Man, that game was like jumper cables for the gaming soul. I feel I'm in a slump once again, and the Kurt Shilling game is being played out of necessity to play something. Maybe it's time to break out an old game.

Awaiting Wolfenstein 360/PS3 reviews.
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

Wolfenstein looks cool but.not.full price cool. Steam sale!
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

yeah, i'm having that debate with myself too. if it gets good enough reviews i might bite right away.

i've been playing SiN though, and despite how goofy and late 90's it is, it actually holds up pretty well all things considered. i had only ever played the demo when it came out. unlike a lot of fps of that time, the level design isn't total confusing crap (looking at you, heretic/hexen)
if there's anybody in the world who'd be fucking unobservant enough to actually damage themselves with trap-soap I guess it'd be the guy with dialup in 2007
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Fark, 5gb update for wolfenstien is taking FOREVER!
PSN ID- doomeddisciple wii code doomed 0207 2840 2718 1053 Xbox Live - doomtildeath
Wang Mandu
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Wang Mandu »

5gb day one update :what:
BUNGVOX wrote:solo hanneman / solo mengele
james
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by james »

RIP NDS WIFI RIP

Gone but never forgotten.
Honky Kong 64 wrote:I use this daily and it scrobbles my Lil B songs just fine?
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

it's unmistakable that wolfenstein was made by ex-starbreeze guys. the combat stuff is solid but nothing of any particular note. but the atmosphere and character interaction has that unexpectedly heavy and surprisingly human character to it. blaskowicz has every opportunity to say something dumb or meatheaded, but instead he'll just mumble something shockingly bleak.

there's a scene a couple hours in where you're in a supposed life or death situation but there's no combat, and when you walk away afterwards it cuts to his face and the gravity of the situation and world he's woken up in just hits him. it's just grim. and not in a gory-grim way; it cuts away from the awful stuff in cutscenes usually, and you don't really revel in the carnage of killing the enemies. there's an anger to the violence but not joy. although i did double over laughing when i threw a knife in a dudes butt and it killed him.

i actually feel like this succeeds where bioshock infinite failed when it tried to have moral weight to the story and characterizations. and this is in a wolfenstein game.

what a weird, kind of fucking cool game. i hope the rest holds up as well as the first 3-4 hours has.
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

copstache wrote:it's unmistakable that wolfenstein was made by ex-starbreeze guys. the combat stuff is solid but nothing of any particular note. but the atmosphere and character interaction has that unexpectedly heavy and surprisingly human character to it. blaskowicz has every opportunity to say something dumb or meatheaded, but instead he'll just mumble something shockingly bleak.

there's a scene a couple hours in where you're in a supposed life or death situation but there's no combat, and when you walk away afterwards it cuts to his face and the gravity of the situation and world he's woken up in just hits him. it's just grim. and not in a gory-grim way; it cuts away from the awful stuff in cutscenes usually, and you don't really revel in the carnage of killing the enemies. there's an anger to the violence but not joy. although i did double over laughing when i threw a knife in a dudes butt and it killed him.

i actually feel like this succeeds where bioshock infinite failed when it tried to have moral weight to the story and characterizations. and this is in a wolfenstein game.

what a weird, kind of fucking cool game. i hope the rest holds up as well as the first 3-4 hours has.
I want it. Want it a lot, but the graphics whore side of me says wait till I get a PS4.
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

yeah. it runs at 60fps on ps4. it effectively looks as good as the pc version. i'd wait
FVBTVS
Total Recluse

Post by FVBTVS »

that is so cool that its cool. it looked cool..
Google it. My name is "Varg Vikernes".

I have 8 children.
doomeddisciple
Olde Timer

Post by doomeddisciple »

Agree with Copstache and there's a suprising mature acknowledgement of (albiet a bit stereotypical) sexuality in the game too

(Copstache - RE Train if you're up to it)
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The hanky panky with the old She-Wollf of the SS cougar, the sex on the train
It runs nice - But I don't feel like it's overly next gen or you would be missing out on much more than a bit of window dressing playing it on PS3 as opposed to 4.

The Bioshock reference jumped out at me with the bit immediatley after escaping the mental hospital into the grounds...
copstache
Total Recluse

Post by copstache »

it might not be super next-gen, but apparently the ps3/360 versions are kind of crummy.

and yeah that they handle the sex stuff in a non-exploitative and kind of mature way was interesting
The Bill
PLAID MEMBER
PLAID MEMBER

Post by The Bill »

Checked my TV and I still have an extra HDMI port free. Urge to acquire PS4 growing!