bike thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Re: bike thread

Post by Erik13 »

guardianoftheblind wrote:i swear erik does things like that just to piss us off. ultimate troll
you really think i purposely bought a bike that didn't fit me just to troll people on the internet?
come on swaiger
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

still waiting on those bike pics, erik97
Image Certified Poster
disco-dance axis
carbomb street team

Post by disco-dance axis »

recently got this one
Krieg wrote: It is more or less the same issue with painkillers, an American gets a tooth removed and spends the next 10 days daydreaming under Valium or Xanax. A German gets a leg amputated and gets Ibuprofen (and only the 500mg version).
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Huh. I was gonna make a snarky comment about the Deore components, but for the price, that's a damn solid bike. CRC says about 1000 EUR? Good fork too, but I'm biased when it comes to RS. Actually, Raffo... take heed.

A word of advice about the tires, though - if they're anything like most Schwalbe tires, they'll wear down quickly, and you'll want to replace them with something better.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
disco-dance axis
carbomb street team

spacehamster wrote:Huh. I was gonna make a snarky comment about the Deore components, but for the price, that's a damn solid bike. CRC says about 1000 EUR? Good fork too, but I'm biased when it comes to RS. Actually, Raffo... take heed.

A word of advice about the tires, though - if they're anything like most Schwalbe tires, they'll wear down quickly, and you'll want to replace them with something better.
Yeah, it's about 1000EUR, and I couldn't find anything better in this price range, while many bikes have some weak spots (usually fork or brakes), this one's got a solid component combo, esp. the not too shabby Magura brakes and the RS Reba fork. Pretty nice ride, though I haven't put it to a real test yet.
PS: I don't really care about the tires, when time comes, I'll slap some Continental ones on it...
Krieg wrote: It is more or less the same issue with painkillers, an American gets a tooth removed and spends the next 10 days daydreaming under Valium or Xanax. A German gets a leg amputated and gets Ibuprofen (and only the 500mg version).
disco-dance axis
carbomb street team

HAY FAGS, while we're at it, post yer helmets, too!
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

you guys wear helmets?
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

disco-dance axis wrote:when time comes, I'll slap some Continental ones on it...
Clearly I'm preaching to the converted here. Continental = win. :tup:

Helmets:

Fox Flux. Just bought this one because my old Uvex helmet was 5 years old and getting all kinds of funky discolorations, so it had to be retired. It looks pretty snazzy, but honestly, the Uvex was more comfortable.

And this is my DH/FR helmet. Bluegrass Explicit. Spoilered for big because it's fucking impossible to find pictures of this thing and I'm giving up now.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
No real reason for the semi-obscure choice of brand here other than it's what my local dealer carries (and he's Italian, so apparently freaking everything in his store has to be Italian, he also sells Ancillotti frames), but it's actually super-comfortable, or at least as comfortable as a goddamn full face helmet's going to get.

EDIT: Ha, actually Bluegrass is Met's sub-brand for FF helmets.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Erik13 wrote:you guys wear helmets?
We're talking about off-road biking here, and the only people who do that without at least a regular bike helmet are complete morons. If you do mountain biking, you will crash. It's a law of nature.
Pastor of Muppets
Methods for Attaining Extreme Altitudes

Post by Pastor of Muppets »

sworn enemy of buenoallthetime
Necrophilic Mallard
I am trying to quit.

Post by Necrophilic Mallard »

spacehamster wrote:
Erik13 wrote:you guys wear helmets?
We're talking about off-road biking here, and the only people who do that without at least a regular bike helmet are complete morons. If you do mountain biking, you will crash. It's a law of nature.
only xasthur fans wear helmets on the street, not morons.
You're cool erik.
Fact #7
From an empirical viewpoint, the problem with Free Will (and causality) is reconciling determinism and freedom to make sense of morality.
Pastor of Muppets

26" and 29" only refer to the size of the wheels electrocham. the length of the seat tube is really what matters.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

electronicham wrote:
Pastor of Muppets wrote:26" and 29" only refer to the size of the wheels electrocham. the length of the seat tube is really what matters.
Well, the bike I sat on at the Sports store just had the sticker 29" on it.
That can't be the frame size, it has to refer to the wheel size. You can get a 26" wheel bike that'll suit your height, you'll just need a big frame - typically around or over 20" seat tube length depending on the frame, but just test a couple since apparently that's an option.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

Thanks for the tip on the grips, Mike. Just did my longest ride ever with no wrist discomfort at all.
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

New bike, Santa Cruz Nickel. Decided against the Heckler after I rode it.

wachtourak
Using Sickness as a Hero

Post by wachtourak »

Nickels are baller.

New wheels for my whip. Just waiting on the Enve carbon bars to come back in stock and maybe I'll finally get a dropper post of some sort too.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
spoiler tags for size
Pastor of Muppets

straight bike p0rn right there wachtourak, dem wheels :bean: :bean: :bean:
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

I see how it is, no one cares unless Erik 13 and Mike Hamster are fighting with each other.
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

I care man, it is fucking sexy, but I can't say much, I am now a boring parent and I am not anymore into mountain bikes plus I know shit about American parts, it is the first time I heard about "Santa Cruz", I googled it and apparently you can buy them in UK as well.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

Fuck...I'm Dave wrote:New bike, Santa Cruz Nickel. Decided against the Heckler after I rode it.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
nice rear fender
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Krieg wrote:I care man, it is fucking sexy, but I can't say much, I am now a boring parent and I am not anymore into mountain bikes plus I know shit about American parts, it is the first time I heard about "Santa Cruz", I googled it and apparently you can buy them in UK as well.
Weird. They have a distributor in Switzerland as well (actually I got the Totem for my FR bike from them), I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't get their bikes in Germany as well.

And geez, I'm sorry - NICE BIKES YOU GUYS. :betternotstartanyshit:
Krieg
from the moon

Post by Krieg »

I google it and yes, you can buy them here, but they are like super-profi prices:

https://www.google.de/#q=santa+cruz+fah ... 89&bih=705

Anyway, I said it already, at the moment I know shit about mountain bikes, I ride a trekking bike with a kid seat or a kid trailer attached to it. The last mountain bike I had was long time ago and now the only info I get about them is when I go to the bicycle shop and even if the shop is huge the selection is not perfect. At the moment I know more about road bicycles because our au-pair is serious business about them.
The Torsion wrote:I don't like Krieg
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Conversely, I've really only been taking an interest for the last five years. I was just under the impression that Santa Cruz was a well-known brand that's been around for a while (1993, apparently?), but maybe they've only recently made it to Europe? Oh well.
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

I've only been aware of Santa Cruz bikes for a couple of years myself, mostly courtesy of a coworker. I'm surprised they've only been around since the 90s. Wasn't there a company called Santa Cruz in the 80s that made surf boards or something like that?
Pastor of Muppets

skate boards