bike thread

Music posts are a bannable offense.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Re: bike thread

Post by spacehamster »

That would explain to me why the brand name seems like something that's practically always been around, yeah. But the website for the bike company says 1993, so... I dunno.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Pastor of Muppets
Methods for Attaining Extreme Altitudes

Post by Pastor of Muppets »

they started out as a homegrown company making rad bikes, now most of their frames are outsourced to china. that doesnt really matter because everything is made in china. nice bike dave
sworn enemy of buenoallthetime
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

TheDOAD wrote:Riveting conversation you got going here guys.
Toby... Toby Wong.
storm shadow wrote:This is what happens when people use the internet to get through adolescence, instead of drugs and heavy metal.
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

Mike, you have Rocky Mountain bike too, right? I wanted to check those out too when I was shopping but finding a Rocky Mountain dealer around here is even harder than finding a Santa Cruz dealer.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Fuck...I'm Dave wrote:Mike, you have Rocky Mountain bike too, right?
Yeah, a 2005 Slayer frame with a custom build. Sadly, their newer models are all butt-ugly, but a guy at work who's ridden a lot of their bikes says the current Slayers are fantastic. All I can say about mine is that at I've put this frame through hell and back in the last five years, and so far, I've had a bent dropout, and one bearing that needed to be replaced. I don't know if the newer frames are anything like this because they don't actually make them in Canada anymore as far as I know, but this thing's damn near indestructible.

I don't know why they're so hard to come by, really. Mine's a hand-me-down from my dad, and apparently he had all kinds of trouble getting it too (plus the distributor tried to screw him over on a warranty issue with another frame where the aluminum was contaminated with fingerprints and the paint coming off as a result.) Maybe they just still have small production runs. The serial number on mine is something in the low triple digits for its year.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Swapped the grip shifts on my RM Slayer for triggers today. I've had them for years and always thought I was happy with them - until I built the Cove STD with Saint triggers and realized triggers don't require you to shift your entire fucking body weight everytime you want to switch gears. I was a bit concerned because the triggers are SRAM X5s and they make a big fuss about their super-special cable ratio, but it turns out my XT front mech works fine with it. Rear mech's an X9 anyway, so no worries there.

So yeah. Prolly gonna get a handlebar with less rise next.

:lj:
Fuck...I'm Dave
git help.

Post by Fuck...I'm Dave »

spacehamster wrote:Swapped the grip shifts on my RM Slayer for triggers today. I've had them for years and always thought I was happy with them - until I built the Cove STD with Saint triggers and realized triggers don't require you to shift your entire fucking body weight everytime you want to switch gears. I was a bit concerned because the triggers are SRAM X5s and they make a big fuss about their super-special cable ratio, but it turns out my XT front mech works fine with it. Rear mech's an X9 anyway, so no worries there.

So yeah. Prolly gonna get a handlebar with less rise next.

:lj:
Totally prefer trigger shifts to grip shifts. :pizza:
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

grip shifts are a thing one settles for, right?

go to ~3:00
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
fallbacktostone
Sweet Lord _______

Post by fallbacktostone »

Necrometer wrote:grip shifts are a thing one settles for, right?
yeah those things are awful.
the motherfucking d-i-e
ANSU++

Post by the motherfucking d-i-e »

my bike tires are basically dry rotting, still ride-able but not for very long i assume. since i suck at bike stuff, i put it off for a long time. my roommate said if i buy myself tires, he would gladly change them for me. bike tires on my mountain bike said they were 28" x 1.9.

searched online for hours the other night trying to find something new and maybe a little diff for my bike, but barely anything came up for 28".... then a dude who i used to talk to, who works for a bike shop told me 28" is also equivalent to 700c for size..... found a pair on amazon i thought were decent, had good reviews, and were more street tires than mountain bike tires (it's been years since i rode on trails even) so i got them. when i asked his opinion all he said was "are you sure they are the right size?"

basically he probably butthurt i won't bring my bike up to his shop to get them changed.... so is 700c really equivalent to 28" or did i just buy something i am going to have to send right back...

anyone?

also, these are what i bought http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Rain-V-Cut- ... f_gw_p_t_1
"before the internet, people displayed their love for heavy metal in the bathroom"
featherboa
Wandering Johnny!

Post by featherboa »

sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

goodluck
Image Certified Poster
the motherfucking d-i-e
ANSU++

TheDOAD wrote:I think you should learn how to change a bike tire or youll be fucked when you get a flat.
yes, i will probably have graham teach me, but that doesn't answer my tire size questions....
"before the internet, people displayed their love for heavy metal in the bathroom"
the motherfucking d-i-e
ANSU++

featherboa wrote:sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

goodluck

according to that 700c is either 28 or 29"..... let's hope what i got is 28"
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Necrometer wrote:grip shifts are a thing one settles for, right?
I originally chose mine over triggers, but they don't seem to be particularly popular in general, yeah. Supposedly SRAM's new model fixes some of the issues everyone complains about, but who knows.

Aside from requiring your entire hand plus wrist to shift gears, forcing you to shift your body weight, I also eventually found that they sometimes turn by accident when I'm holding on to them in rough terrain, and now that I've been riding with triggers for a while, I've realized I just also prefer the feel of the handlebar grips without them because I generally prefer pretty slim grips. Plus the gripshifts are ugly as sin.

Oh, also, my new stem and handlebar for my AM bike came today. Hope FR 50mm/0 deg stem, Race Face Atlas FR handlebar. I have an Atlas on my FR bike as well and always loved how it looked, but I was kinda hoping I could find something at the right length so I wouldn't have to buy a tube cutter - the Atlas is 780mm, which is just ridiculous for anything except downhill riding. Actually it feels unwieldy on the FR bike as well and I've been thinking about shortening it. Anyway, I couldn't find anything I liked and that had the right amount of rise, so I got the Atlas and shortened it. Kinda nice to know I have a tube cutter now in case I need it, anyway.

Also got a new shock, but it'll be a while until I get around to installing it, need to get new bushings first as well.

A blah blah. The new cockpit looks purty as fuck. Hope components are so bling.

EDIT pics. Note also horribly chipped kitchen doorframe. I guess I should fix that, but I'm looking for a new apartment, so fuck it.

Gonna shoot some better pics when I've got the new shock in, that should complete the 2012 overhaul. Though I always seem to find something or other that I want to change. Like... the seatpost, actually. And the saddle. Sigh.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Last chance to dance today... work starts again on Thursday, and it's gonna be hard to find time to take this baby anywhere. Plus I'm finally getting the surgical implants removed from my leg in October, and then it's no more doing anything bumpy for like two months, apparently. Probably just gonna be riding on stupid gravel roads until the snow comes and then fuck knows what I'm gonna do. Get fat again, no doubt.

Observe: new pedals. Yep.
hipster holocaust
Sweet Lord _______

Post by hipster holocaust »

spacehamster wrote:
TheDOAD wrote:Riveting conversation you got going here guys.
Toby... Toby Wong.
Charlie fuckin Chan :pizza:
Chad wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:07 pm I'm not a fascist, I follow a bunch of Japanese rabbit owners on Twitter bc rabbits are cute
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

That seat looks like it would hurt your bum after a while.
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

Erik13 wrote:That seat looks like it would hurt your bum after a while.
The one I just posted is a downhill saddle, it's not really meant to be sat on for a long time. The one further up's more comfortable than it looks. I really can't imagine riding with one of these big saddles, I get cramps in my butt just looking at those things. But I've been thinking about trying something else, I'm pretty sure this one's a half inch too narrow, actually.
the awesome Assassin
Sweet Lord _______

Post by the awesome Assassin »

Just bought this...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Can't wait to get back riding...
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

no you didn't
monsterod
(ó ì_í)=óò=(ì_í ò)

Post by monsterod »

having 2 pedals might make it easier to ride.
turn these off meatman.
Erik13
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Erik13 »

ha! I missed that the first time.
Geeheeb
Shit Stadium 4000

Post by Geeheeb »

is that a velo sport super? if so, its a siiiiick bike.
FVBTVS wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:04 pmfrom enslavement to obliteration is older than abbey road
Necrometer
crippled god of the universe

Post by Necrometer »

what is the fucking story with dudes using those massive, cushy, sofa-style saddles? obesity? 'roids? two guys who work on my floor rock these and only one of them is a tubbo

why
good thing I'll be dead soon, cause I'm tired of liars winning
spacehamster
Sweet Lord _______

Post by spacehamster »

The seat width that fits you is determined by bone structure and has nothing to do with being a fatty. The super-cushy seats, though, I dunno, I guess some people think they're more comfortable? I get butt cramps just looking at them.